Friday, April 23, 2010

A Friday Lost

There’s a buzz in the city today. You could almost smell the impending long weekend. As I sat eating lunch with a friend in Spring Street’s Gordon Reserve, surrounded by people in suits, I felt a sudden longing for that feeling I used to get when nearing the weekend. I want my Fridays back!

It’s been two weeks since I finished up at work. Two weeks of staying up, sleeping in, long lunches, long coffees, shopping and day trips. It’s been great, don’t get me wrong. But I sure miss that unmistakable vibe in the office on a Friday afternoon. Casual Friday in many workplaces means that people are dressed more comfortably than usual and in colours that extend beyond black, grey and blah. Talk of upcoming weekend shenanigans inevitably fills the place with smiles and warmth. The thought of staying up, sleeping in, long lunches etc. etc. mellows people.

But everyday’s a weekend for you these days, you may say. Not the same. Trust me. In truth, it’s the weekdays that make weekends all the more enjoyable. Sure, spending time with friends and family, being outdoors, going to parties and the footy are pretty valid drawcards, but we appreciate that time all the more by it being sandwiched between two working weeks. So, next time you have a shitty day at work, remind yourself – this is only enriching your weekend. Happy long weekend everyone! x

No comments:

Post a Comment