Sunday, May 2, 2010

This Really Is It

In just twelve days, we gained four kilos, my suitcase and I. Two each. Well, what else does one do when you suddenly find out that you have an extra two weeks in the country and nothing planned… at all. I ate a lot, and shopped a little. Ok, I shopped a lot too but just tiny, foldable, packable (did I mention tiny) things weighing next to nothing that have now somehow added up to a lot. Round two (and three and four) of goodbyes have landed me with a few more pressies which I couldn’t possibly leave behind in Melbourne. I do feel very loved.

Two weeks ago, I was perfectly packed, albeit 7kgs over the bag limit approved by Qatar Airways. Then a volcano blew up in Iceland and out came the hair straightener, phone charger, laptop and moisturiser. I was living out of a suitcase in my own home. I never want to hear the phrase, ‘Oh, you’re still here,’ ever again.

So, thermals, check. Umbrella, check. Tube map, check. I’m finally leaving Melbourne tonight. It’s been a blast Brunswick Street, Brunetti’s, Cabinet Bar, Ikea – Vic Gardens. A big thank you to all my friends who have kept me from pulling my hair out in the last two weeks. I’m grateful for the extra time and the extra calories we shared together. See you on the other side.

B x

1 comment:

  1. welcome to your new world, have a great flight minus crying babies in close proximity, just had a fantastic weekend in the city with girlfiends, shopping, eating, lots of talking and laughter.

    ReplyDelete