Monday, July 26, 2010

In search of Mr Darcy

It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single girl visiting Lyme Park must be in want of a picture by the lake where Colin Firth got his clothes off.

Lyme Hall is the setting for Pemberley in the BBC miniseries of Pride and Prejudice. It is a grand and beautiful building surrounded by parkland in the Peak District of England. The entire estate is known as Lyme Park, and although very convenient to reach by car, proved to be more challenging for those of us braving public transport. Leaving Sheffield at 9am, I caught a train to New Mills (1 hour), walked 20 minutes to the bus stop on the A1, rode the infrequent 199 service to Buxton for about 15 minutes which took me to the northern gate of Lyme Park. From there, it was another 30 minute walk through the park to Lyme Hall and the infamous lake. The lengths I go to to chase Mr Darcy!

I didn't see Colin Firth there, sopping wet, unfortunately. However, there were some very dashing photos of him in the gift shop. An entire wall of mugs, magnets, bookmarks and postcards with his face plastered over them in fact. And no, I did not buy any of it, in case you were wondering. That would be sad.

I promise to post some photos another time.

B xxx

1 comment:

  1. This is true Pride and Prej dedication Biheng - I applaud you! I am loving your blog, keep up the great posts. Definitely feeling wanderlust.

    Take care,
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete