Sunday, September 5, 2010

Time for a Health Kick

I had a fat moment yesterday as I got ready for a job interview and realised my suit pants were much tighter than they were four months ago. So, last night, I stayed up for hours looking for healthy eating solutions.

The first gem I found was a farmers’ market in Ealing, held every Saturday morning. So that’s where I headed this morning to pick up a bunch of fresh and colourful ingredients. Courgettes, aubergines, cherry tomatoes, peppers, bananas, some greens, and a large piece of Turkish bread to go with the dukkah I brought over from Melbourne.



Back in the kitchen at home, it was well over an hour of madness as I tried out two relatively easy recipes I found online the previous night – courgette (zucchini) fritters and baked aubergines. The fritters are from a vegan cooking blog I found, Easy as Vegan Pie. Quite simply, you grate the courgettes and mix with flour, chutney, onion, garlic and tomato paste. Cook with a little oil in a fry pan and the results are very tasty. As for the aubergines, it was just a case of halving lengthwise, slitting the surface with a knife and seasoning with salt, pepper, fresh garlic and chilli. Drizzle with oil and bake for 35 minutes.

And here are the results.





I’m looking forward to using the rest of the ingredients – peppers and greens – in a stir fry tomorrow.

On a side note, I built a bedside table today. By ‘built’ I mean ‘assemble’. I'm very proud of myself nonetheless.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome work! If you're on a health kick you have to check out this website... amazing and super healthy recipes! http://www.lolaberry.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jaclyn! I need all the help I can get.

    ReplyDelete