Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Work Work Work

Oh dear. I have been neglectful of this blog lately. Certainly, a lot has been happening in this part of London.

As you know, I started working last week at a property development business as an admin support person. It's three weeks full time with regular weekday hours, which I appreciate, and I am actually finding it very satisfying dressing up once again in clothes that shouldn't go in the washing machine or tumble dryer. Note to self - put time aside for hand washing this weekend. The only downside to this job is the early mornings. As the weather in London gets colder, I find it harder and harder to get myself out of bed. When the alarm goes off in the morning, I find myself cursing out loud, and one of my housemates has even remarked that I hit snooze for a whole half hour before getting out of bed. I suppose it doesn't help that I'm still blogging at 12am either.

The work I do is pretty straight-forward - entering defect requests into a system, following them up, closing them off, liaising with site managers and customers, filing, billing, your usual admin duties. I am collecting quite a vocabulary of construction terms though - mastic, plinth, balustrade. Still waiting for an opportunity to use these words in a sentence. I suspect I might be waiting a while. The office itself is very nice, but in Brentford, there is very little surrounding it. Having worked right in the heart of Melbourne city for the last six years, it's been quite a shock to the system not having a Starbucks within 50 metres of my workplace. There is, however, a Maccas 10 minutes down the road but that's no good to me as I'm trying to undo the damage of my Heathrow injection, of which I think I got a double dose. And by the way, Maccas is strictly an Aussie term, as I learnt the hard way today. Here, it's McD's. Really, people?? Bell St McD's just doesn't have the same ring to it.

Enough rambling for one night - I must be up in six hours time. Buenas noches amigos.

1 comment:

  1. How exciting! You can use all your construction terms on me, that's the type of law I'm going into! :) I'm doing my honours thesis in the area and everything hahaha! Glad you're settling into it all :) xx

    ReplyDelete