Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Yes, Another Food Post

As I was finishing up work this afternoon, I couldn't wait to get home and cook. I'm still not sure when the transformation took place for me - from despising cooking to really finding joy in the art.

On the weekend, I once again hit the farmers' market in Ealing to stock up on fresh vegetables for the week. I had no idea what I would be cooking with the peppers, cherry tomatoes, green beans, courgettes and aubergines but I figured I'd cross that bridge when I got to it. Sure enough, with very few recipes in my meagre repetoire, I've been spending most nights on the internet searching for recipes that featured those ingredients but didn't require too much else (or have a prep time of two hours).

Today, I tried out a simple side dish of French beans with garlic. I was drawn to the recipe because it looked really really easy. And I already had the garlic. Sold! It went great with my pumpkin pasta (that, I didn't make from scratch). And literally 10-15 minutes to make.

This is as opposed to the two hours it took three girls to make ratatouille last week. I thought I would be adventurous and try out the ratatouille recipe on my own one night, only to have two of my housemates come home (slightly intoxicated at 5pm) with dips, crackers and wine. I offered to make them dinner and they poured me a glass of rose and helped me stir and clean up.

We cooked, we danced, we ate. It was a ridiculously fun night.





And finally, I just wanted to share the courgettes I got on the weekend.



Did you know they came in round shapes, and some the size of golf balls? Well, I didn't and it took two guys at the market a lot of energy convincing me they were indeed courgettes. I thought they were screwing with me. Anyway, I bought one of each shape, cos they were cute, and told them I'd be back next week and will know if they lied to me. Well, they didn't lie. Each one of those tastes what a courgette should taste.

3 comments:

  1. I think this is fantastic. You have taken to cooking the way I have. It gets into your blood and becomes an obsession. Great thing, guys love it! And, if it's something you enjoy, well why not!

    Annalina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ratatouille looks delish. Did all the zucchini go into it?
    D and I are musing over the xmas dinner menu and have decided on traditional.
    There will be enough to feed the 5000 if you want to bring a friend.
    Cheers Gillian

    ReplyDelete
  3. Annalina, I tried your pasta sauce recipe. Turned out beautifully... and so easy!

    Gillian, no, I couldn't bear to cut up the baby zucchini. It was way too cute.

    ReplyDelete