Friday, December 31, 2010

What Would You Attempt To Do If You Knew You Couldn't Fail?

I came across this quote just over a year ago and these simple words have shaped almost every facet of my life ever since.



Many people are motivated by a fear of failure. This fear can often drive us to achieve great things, if used the right way, but can simultaneously limit us from doing other scary things like quitting our jobs, abandoning the comfort of home or jumping off a trapeze. This year, I did all three.

January
Learning the trapeze - City Square Melbourne.



'Trust that your body will know what to do,' stated one of the blue things from Avatar. Luckily I saw that at the cinema a couple of days before the trapeze and drew on this advice just at the right time. I shalln't be running away with the circus anytime soon, but I did enjoy the experience very much.

April
Goodbye City of Melbourne.



The City of Melbourne was my employer for three years. They gave me my first 'proper' job after uni. I did a lot of growing up with them, made plenty of mistakes and learnt so many invaluable lessons. Importantly, I had fun going to work and met truly amazing people. Choosing to leave the City of Melbourne was one of the hardest decisions this year.

And then there was a volcano...



Thank you Eyjafjallajokull. But eventually I left Melbourne and landed in London for a new life and beginning.

May
Morocco



I rode a camel and slept under the Saharan stars, bathed with 50 other naked women in a hammam and got scrubbed (or more accurately, butchered) by a local Moroccan lady whose boobs came far too close to mine for my liking, and ate a camel burger (different camel to the aforementioned).

May/June
Started to settle into London sharehouse and living with housemates. No previous work or life experience had taught me about coordinating housework, hairs in the bath or noise control at 2am, or 3am, or 4am. Nor had I any idea stuff like this happened.







July
Jumped on a bus and toured England, improvising as I went. Why? Because I could. This year was all about making my lifelong dreams come true, and it has been a dream of mine to be at the very place where Colin Firth walked out of a lake sopping wet in Pride and Prejudice. Hello Darcy!





August
During one of my last weeks in Melbourne, I went to the Melbourne International Comedy Festival and happened to meet Rockwiz's Julia Zemiro, who told me her show Spontaneous Broadway would be going to the Edinburgh Fringe Festival. I said I'll see her there. And in August, I kept my promise. I saw something like 13 shows in 5 days, had an absolute blast and had a drink with Julia.



September
I suppose I had to rejoin the workforce eventually. I looked forward to temping - new workplace and new people every couple of weeks. Sounded fun. Except that I grew to really love my second assignment, which as you probably already know, was with the Prostate Cancer Charity working on Movember.

November
Movember!
People grew moustaches, we all raised money, there was a trivia night and one hell of a Gala Party.



December
Time to make another dream come true - European Christmas markets!

Since I started working at Myer Melbourne back in 2004, I have wanted to see the glorious Christmas markets of Germany and Austria.



And while I was in that part of the world, why not channel my inner Maria Von Trapp and make the hills come alive with the sound of music?



A December tinged with a touch of sadness where although I claim to love living impulsively and off the cuff, I came to realise that I do live with, and love, some traditions. Waiting for Melbourne's Christmas decorations to appear, bringing home the Myer Christmas bear, rehearsing for Carols by Candlelight, performing on the Sidney Myer Music Bowl stage on Christmas Eve, and of course, being with family and friends.

This year I practised what I had preached for a long time: I lived outside of my comfort zone. I've been shit-scared, over-whelmed and lost. I've experienced unimaginable highs and lows that have left me both grateful and humbled. I've felt immensely proud of myself.

So I ask this in my last post for the year: In 2011, what would you do if you knew you couldn't fail? Think big, think brave and remember, there's a friend who will gladly get shit-scared beside you.

Happy New Year!

3 comments:

  1. What will I do? Comment on this post! ah yes "that" P & P scene with a damp Darcy...yum. And a photo with Julia Zemiro WOW, and those markets, I'm so envious, but good on you, it's a fantastic achievement. I've really enjoyed visiting your blog. And from one Melbournian to another - at least you have snow to play in, it's just cold and overcast here. Enjoy :)

    (FYI I found my way here via Adam Hills' blog - isn't he FANTASTIC! Your description of the Mess Around show is spot on)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for dropping by and commenting Sue. So pleased you've enjoyed reading this blog. I am about to check yours out! Happy New Year! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow what an amazing recap of the year, congratulations B, really really wonderful stuff :) hope to do a bit of the same when I'm over there x

    ReplyDelete