Saturday, January 22, 2011

This Isn't Flying, This is Falling... With Style!

In just 43 days, I WILL be jumping out of a plane shouting 'I'm Aware!' to raise awareness for Prostate Cancer. Yep, the deposit has been paid, Virgin Money Giving fundraising site has been created and my manic YouTubing of anything and everything skydiving has begun. Shit. No backing out now.

So the plus side to this challenge is that I don't have to run or cycle or train. The down side is that I feel completely helpless, knowing that there is little I can do to make this any less scary between now and the 5th of March, which, by the way, is when the jump takes place.

The logical question to this is, why??? For a start, I've never done anything like this before. Only last October did I, for the first time in my life, go on a carnival ride that went upside-down. I don't have a morbid fear of heights but I trust harnesses and ropes and the sensation that my bodyweight is being supported - ie. rock climbing, good; bungee jumping, bad. But hey, live outside your comfort zone, right? And importantly, I want to raise as much money as I can for my chosen charity, The Prostate Cancer Charity. And really, it wouldn't be an experience if it wasn't terrifying. I mean, you wouldn't sponsor someone to go for a ride on a rollercoaster.

I will be fundraising in the coming month, with the hope of raising at least £395. To visit my fundraising site and to donate, please go to: http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/skydivebee85

This is possibly one of the biggest things I will attempt to do and your support would be greatly appreciated.

1 comment: