Wednesday, February 2, 2011

So, How Is It February Already???

The start of February often brings with it the wonder and disbelief that we're a month into the year already. A time when most new year resolutions are crumbling apart, one chocolate bar at a time. February is the month when all memories of the previous year are wiped - you can no longer blame the over-eating and over-drinking from the holiday season as an excuse for poor performance at work, and even the 95% off the RRP Christmas decorations have all but disappeared from shops to make room for the army of Easter bunnies who have been well trained by Mr Wonka to further stuff with whatever that remains of those wretched resolutions, or good intentions as I like to call them. All this when, really, all I can focus on is remembering to write 2011 instead of 2010 everytime I fill out a form or have to sign something.

Oh, and don't get me started on Valentines Day.

I've tried Googling for the 'darkest' or 'deadliest' day of the year, supposedly the day in which most suicides happen. I wouldn't be surprised if it fell in February. But, alas, I got distracted by the research that said Wednesday is the deadliest day of the week, where a whopping 25% of suicides happen. Interesting, but irrelevant. But do take care of yourself tomorrow and remember that no matter how bad things seem, I still love you.

So anyway, I do believe that things aren't all bad, certainly if you live in the UK.
Because the quicker the weeks go by, the closer we get, at least, to summer and longer days and the possibility of sun. My love for vitamin D is strong.

On the other hand, I grew up in Australia, where January is the month of summer dresses, beaches, school holidays, barbecues and re-runs of Friends. February marked the end of all that - or at least the opportunity to enjoy the aforementioned sun and crappy TV due to work or school. Couple that with an inability to commit to losing that weight or quitting those cigarettes/chocolates aannnndddd the thought of getting old and you soon find yourself reaching for the vodka... unless you resolved to quit that too. Then you're an idiot.

So this February, I'm being positive and looking forward to summer. I'm staying positive that it will be a long and hot summer too. I'm enjoying chocolate, every calorie of those bunnies. And I intend to get better at writing 2011 without the liquid paper.

1 comment:

  1. Jan 17th is the most depressing day of the year in the Northern Hemisphere supposedly x

    ReplyDelete