Monday, December 31, 2012

Best and Worst of 2012

Best:  Twelve months ago, I would never have guessed that this would be the best part of 2012 but in fact, it’s actually coming home to Melbourne following my two years of travelling. I dreaded April’s homecoming for months, cried unceremoniously at each farewell, and held back tears at Heathrow. Then, as soon as the plane touched down at Tullamarine everything felt good and right. And so many lovely and unexpected things have happened since: I started writing again; I got a job at the NGV; my friend Toni had the cutest of babies; my oldest friends and I have never been closer; and I still get to see so many of my London friends because they love visiting Melbourne. And while I still occasionally miss the freedom and frivolity of my London life, instead of crying for what is over, I now just smile knowing that it had all happened. Isn’t that what Dr Seuss says to do?

Worst: There was a period of about six weeks between arriving back in Melbourne and finding and starting my current job. The job hunt was tedious, the days, excruciatingly long. My friends all worked so they weren’t around to entertain me. I found myself in a dark place, desperately craving lightness and cheap thrills. I turned to 50 Shades of Grey. Wait, that’s not the worst part. After finishing 50 Shades of Grey, I moved on to 50 Shades Darker. Then 50 Shades Freed. I KNOW! Judge me all you like – I deserve everything I get. I felt so ashamed I followed up by reading some really great books but nothing could wash away the crime of bad taste and poor literary judgement from my conscience. Forgive me, Miles Franklin, for I have sinned.

What were your bests and worsts of 2012?

No comments:

Post a Comment