Wednesday, April 17, 2013

The White Rabbit


Last year when I was job hunting, I came across an HR Coordinator role with Koko Black for which I applied, despite having no experience in HR. They were loose with their selection criteria and I have a loose grasp of reality. The cover letter started with, ‘To the wonderful people at Koko Black,’ and finished with this:


Yes, in a formal job application, I compared myself to the Koko Black mascot and included photos as evidence.* Please don’t institutionalise me.

This would not be the last time that I am compared to a white rabbit.

In the beloved children’s story Alice in Wonderland, we meet the white rabbit who runs about clutching his oversized pocket watch crying, ‘I’m late, I’m late!’ Late for what, exactly, we don’t really find out.

It’s no secret that I’m a pretty intense and neurotic person. Always on high alert, always running (figuratively), chasing an elusive something. So elusive even I don’t know what it is I’m running towards or from. Today, someone likened me to the white rabbit from Alice in Wonderland and I couldn’t agree with them more.

I am the white rabbit. I am constantly fretting over the time – how quickly can I get a task done, how much can I fit into a day, impatient to move onto the next big thing. My default state is restlessness.

Well, I don’t want to be the white rabbit anymore. I’m tired. I’m done with the running when there is no race. Life’s not a race but I’m acting as though it is. Does it not feel like we’re constantly operating at this incredible pace but if we stop to wonder why we’re doing it we simply draw a blank?

From now on, I choose to be the Cheshire Cat. Cool, unfazed and smiling. He accepts that we’re all mad and that’s ok. And occasionally, he turns invisible.


*I actually got an interview with Koko Black from that letter. Jury’s out as to who is madder.

2 comments:

  1. You got an interview from that?! Brilliant!

    Don't know about being the Cheshire Cat though, I don't know if purple and pink strips would suit you as well as that red cardigan does.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why thank you! You're right about purple and pink - doesn't suit my complexion.

    ReplyDelete